Pilipinas Trail Running Camp is a beginner friendly trail camo designed to help a newbie learn the ins and outs of trail running. Register via Raceyaya.com and get a front seat ticket to a round of talks and trail running at Basecamp, Pintong Bukawe, San Mateo, Rizal.
Pilipinas Trail Running Camp
Every expert was once a beginner. The same is true when it comes to trail running. There’s so much to learn when it comes to trail running from proper pacing, nutrition, race strategies, attacking terrains and others. It gets easier in time. At Pilipinas Trail Running Camp you get to learn the basics from the trail expert themselves. Imagine having one on one sessions with Trail Champions and Head Mentors Manolito Divina and Sandi Menchi. Get the insight straight from the champions mouth on what fuels them and how they train for a race. The Camp will help you establish a strong base to help you on your journey in trail running.
Beginner Friendly Camp
PILIPINAS TRAIL RUNNING CAMP will provide an experience that will ignite one’s passion for trail running. The PILIPINAS Trail Running Camp – BEGINNER SERIES is a series of trail running learning weekends that aims to introduce new and aspiring runners to the sports. The camp is headed by veteran trail runners, together with experts and specialists. It is a five month program which includes two stay-in weekends of learning and a culminating intimate race. Expect to gain an understanding of trail running techniques, hill running, nutrition, training plans and heat/hydration management from veterans of the sport.
The Beginner Series aims to create capable trail runners with life-long stewardship and love for nature. The event aims to generate funds to support our deserving local athletes in to augment the cost of the international races that they will join for 2017-2018. Part of the proceeds and your registration fee will be donated to the Athlete Support Fund. The event is co-presented by RaceYaya, Adrenaline Multisports and BaseKamp. Head Mentors for the Camp are Sandi Menchi and Manolito Divina while Thumbie Remigio would be the Camp Director.
It’s time to get schooled in Trail Running by the experts in their very own playground.
CAMP 1: February 25-26 at Basekamp, Pintong Bukawe, San Mateo, Rizal
TRAIL RUNNING BASICS
- ROAD TO TRAIL: Listen to Wilnar Iglesia as he shares with us why he enjoys running on the trails. Wilnar is a top road ultramarathon athlete who has found a different joy in trail running. (Duration: 30 Minutes Sharing)
- GEAR UP: What are the basic gears that you will need on your first trail run? Compared to road running, you cannot just lace up and run on the trails. Trail running experts from Ahon, Aldean Lim and Ronald Declarador will share their experiences and knowledge about what gear you will need before you do your first trail run. Make sure you are not overlooking the necessary gears in your first trail run. (Duration: One Hour Lecture)
START TRAIL RUNNING THE RIGHT WAY
- GET THE RIGHT FORM: The lecture will focus on how to properly run when you see roots and rocks. New trail runners would usually slow down or fail to run through it properly which could result to poor landing. Jael Wenceslao will explain his tested methods of handling technical terrain without risking your safety. Jael is a roadie before he was a trail runner. A typical city guy who trains on the road and track, he will share how he deals with the surprises of trail terrains every time he escapes to the mountains. Learn how to run on roots and rocks as you run with your veteran mentors. (Duration: One Hour Lecture + Short Run)
- GOING UP AND DOWN: Veteran runners will demonstrate and teach you on proper downhill and uphill running techniques. After this session, you’ll know what it takes to deal with hill running, and you might even start liking them. Run with Manolito Divina and Sandi Menchi together with other trail runners and gain that confidence in going up and down those hills. (Practical Applications)
- TRAIL ETIQUETTE: They will share with you what to do on the trails when in the presence of others. The common rules of the trail will be discussed. Thumbie Remigio, one of the active members and leaders of UP mountaineer and an adventure racer and traveler before trail running became a popular sport will share his experiences and the commonly accepted trail guidelines. (Lecture and take home applications)
CAMP 2: May 6-7 at Basekamp, Pintong Bukawe, San Mateo, Rizal
- Trail running should keep you healthier so you can enjoy the trails longer. How do you avoid the dreaded trail runner’s injuries? ITBS? Sore Plantar? Victor Felix Samson Gaddi, M.D., FPOA (General Orthopaedics, Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine) will share some body mechanism insights and ways to enjoy the trails longer.
- Trail chick/champ and yogini Arlene Agulto will lead the group in a Yoga Session to help us stretch and make those muscles stronger and flexible to face the challenges of the trails. (Lecture and basic stretching and cross training sessions).
- Team Rescue 8 will share with you how to handle properly a number of situations you could face on the trails. (Lecture and on the run first aid session)
NUTRITION AND HYDRATION
- They will share the fundamentals of nutrition for endurance running. Be on the right track so you can optimize your preparation, race-day fueling and race recovery so you can stay on the trails longer. (Lecture)
- Heat and cold weather affects everyone. Learn how to manage it. Simon Sandoval and Alex Yap will share their experiences and knowledge with you about what gear can save you, and what you might be overlooking in your race preparation. They will have a large variety of quality gear for you to try on and run with. Simon and Alex have raced a couple of international races. They’ve been through tropical to freezing climates and have survived. (Sharing and Lecture)
PLAN YOUR RACE
- Race directors and veteran trail runners will shed some insight on creating a race plan that is specific to your goals. Our speakers have conquered some of the toughest local and international trail races who will share how to progress from joining short trail races to your ultimate goal races. Learn how to stick to your plan so you can be fully prepared for the big race. (Sharing and Lecture)
CAMP 3: June/July 2017 MINI TRAIL RACE
- The trail runners will graduate with a short trail race where they can apply what they have learned.
- Camp Fee:
- February 25-26 Camp: P2,500
- May 6-7 Camp: P2,500
- Mini Trail Race: P2,000
- Event Shirt, Overnight Accommodation (Bed space or sharing tent space), Meals, Giveaways and Discounts from Sponsors, Raffle Stub and Donation to the Athlete Support Fund
- Accommodation will be reserved on a first come, first serve basis. There will be 12 slots for bed space (six pax per room and dorm –type bed ), eight slots for hut accommodation (twin sharing mattress bed), and campsite accommodation (twin sharing tents). Participants can reserve upon payment.
- Register at https://raceyaya.com. Runners may pay via PayPal or bank deposit using their RaceYaya account